Friday, April 24, 2009

tough week

i've been surfing the blogosphere here and I am taking comfort in the fact that it has been an ugly week for a lot of people.

yesterday i took the trash out after dinner and almost kept walking down the block. when I finally got back to the door, Z was standing there looking rather concerned. I opened the door and she said "no working mommy" I think she knew I was thinking about ditching.

Perhaps that due to the fact that I cried while sweeping the floor after dinner. C&Z were eating yogurt pops I made with some leftover (read: almost spoiled) melon from last week. Why did I cry? I could think of no reason that I should not walk promptly into the bathroom and take a handful of something in a prescription bottle. I am pretty sure Sam the Mentally Insane Kitten who Bites People would have been a better parent yesterday.

Whilst I was sweeping and crying, C said "oh mommy! what wrong? why cying?" (there is no 'r' in this word) and Z tried to beep my nose. with her nasty sticky yogurt hands as she refuses to eat the icepop off the stick and requires '"pieces!" (requires being the kind way to word this so as not to expose her dictatorial nature)

I did not run away or kill myself. Or get divorced over frozen strawberries. which is another story entirely. And, I maintain, not my fault. But it was good to read around and see that there must be some astrological explanation for the ungodly horror that has been the world of mommy.

Can I have an "amen"?

6 comments:

LauraC said...

Amen!

I myself just got back from the library to pick up Your Three Year Old: Friend or Enemy. That about sums up my week with Nate.

LauraC said...

Hey I just saw your comment on my post on HDYDI! YES YES YES we have heard of terrible 18 month phase. It is WELL WELL documented.

Here's some stuff on Ask Moxie about this phase is so hard:

http://www.askmoxie.org/2006/04/qa_18month_slee.html

And she writes a lot about equilibrium/disequilibrium phases, which come straight from the series of books I mentioned in my last comment. Your One Year Old, Your Two Year Old.

18 months with Alex was my worst time period with him. I thought we weren't going to make it with the hour-long tantrums, night waking, and INSANITY.

Then two was good, very good.

Then I thought I might drop Nate 2.5 off on the side of the road.

Now we're at 3 and we're good. I'm prepping for 3.5.

I'd highly recommend that series, even though it it outdated bc it explains WHY kids go through these disequilibrium phases.

(Also Goddess' kids are 20 months old and she's feeling the hurt.)

Liz Jimenez said...

Amen. AMEN! This phase is kicking my ass in a very major way. (LauraC is right!) Ugh is about all I can say. I feel your pain. Just got to put our heads down and do our best to get through it, right?

Sending a virtual glass of wine your way.

Unknown said...

Things DO get easier. We still have our moments here, but in many ways it's much easier than a year ago. Less food throwing/spilling, more independence... and today, S said she wanted to put herself down for nap and I left her with a book, and she did!

kerry said...

My crazy week was delayed from yours.
I was calling people today BEGGING them to take Madison away. Thankfully my SIL was able to. Jackson and I had a great day together and even took a nap together. And Madison was very good for her Auntie so I'm sure she enjoyed her day more than if she had been home begging and whining for me to hold her all day long.

Like Eva said, in general they have been so much better than they were around 20 months. Those were very hard times for me.

Hopefully they ease up a bit.

Jeanne The Queen said...

thanks for all the comments guys. this week was better. but wow! when it's bad, it's horrid!